15 February 2012

Going Gluten Free


After my latest miscarriage, which I don't really even count since it was deemed a "chemical pregnancy" and only lasted about a week, I begged and pleaded with my doctor to do something. We've already done the traditional Day 3 blood work ordered after a third miscarriage, with no abnormalities save mild MTHFR deficiency (solution: take a baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life, doctors assure me this is common and probably not the cause of the miscarriages).
The Good Doctor told me he cannot refer me to a Reproductive Endocrinologist until I've had one more miscarriage. Awesome. Based on some blog reading I have done and some friends I have talked to, I asked him to run test me for gluten intolerance. At first he was hesitant, but I continued to push him. I reminded him that my eggs are good and my embryos always have heartbeats and measure on track, then they slow up on growth and die. I reminded him that it seems like something is killing them and I don't know how many more times I can do this. I showed him a printout from a genetic testing lab that indicates "recurrent fetal loss" as an indication for Celiac testing. He finally agreed to run the test.
And it came back positive.
The only way to verify that I have Celiac Disease is to do a bowel biopsy, but he felt that was unnecessary. He said the antibodies were present, which was enough reason for him to recommend I try a pregnancy gluten-free and see if it helps me carry to term.
Going GF was not easy. I honestly felt like I was in withdrawal during the first week. I was more exhausted than normal, dizzy, and nauseous. I needed a nap every day and I felt like nothing I was eating was satisfying me. That first week was rough. Within 7 days, however, I started to feel better than I had before. It's been almost 8 weeks now, and I can honestly say I notice a difference. The biggest thing I notice is that I no longer feel bloated. Ever. Score! I don't feel as exhausted all the time, I don't get random muscle cramps anymore, and in general I just don't feel foggy. Fertility wise, we have yet to see what the outcome is as I haven't yet become pregnant.
I have had some changes in my digestion: I used to be very, um, regular. Now I am, ahem, not. I think this will remedy itself when the seasons change and fresh local fruit is readily available (it can be difficult to get enough fiber when eating gluten-free).
I've been able to cook for my family without any major changes. The Husband and The Kid still eat loads of bread and gluteny snacks, so I keep my gluten-free stash on a separate shelf in the pantry. After much trial and error, we've found a really good GF pasta that doesn't taste mushy or chewy. We use corn tortillas for tacos etc., and I buy GF bread (Udi's or Glutino) for sandwiches and toast (for which I have a separate toaster). Eating gluten-free is very easy at home, but a major challenge when eating out. I can't have anything from a fryolator that fries any breaded foods (so basically, nothing from a fryolator) and I have to double check with the chef on any dish that has a sauce on it. I can usually find something, but it often ends up being rather bland and one particular time there was literally nothing on the menu I could eat so I simply enjoyed the company of my friends while they ate and fixed something for myself when I got home.
I have to admit, it's nice to find something an answer, to find that we can treat. It may not solve my problems, but I feel like now I am proactively doing everything I can to make my body the healthiest it can be.

Some great links for recipes and resources:
Gluten Intolerance and Pregnancy
Gluten-Free Girl
Book of Yum (vegetarian)
A Gluten-Free Day (many baking recipes without xanthan gum)
Gluten-Free Goddess
Gluten-Free Mommy

7 comments:

Lindsay Lou said...

I am praying that this makes a difference in your next pregnancy! You deserve a take home baby :) Good job with going gluten free and keep up the good work!

Amy said...

I sure hope this helps! I'll keep you in my prayers!

Breeze said...

Good on you for being assertive and directing your own care. Sometimes we have to be the experts on ourselves and push through the poo-pooing.
All my digits are crossed that your next pregnancy is a sticky one.
xxxx

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I hope this helps! As for being Gluten Free... I just saw a commercial on Gluten Free Rice Krispies, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Pam said...

I'm hoping this helps for ya. I will admit that your Doc telling you that there has to be another miscarriage seems rather sadistic. I'm sure they have valid medical reasons why they do what they do, but sheesh! Seems like they forget about the human element sometimes. Good luck on your new diet. I'm glad to hear you're through the roughest part of the transition!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're taking control of your own body on the medical front. Doctors can be so clueless sometimes. I hope going gluten free helps!

Anonymous said...

so it seems bizarre to almost congratulate you on having Celiac disease...but that's what I feel like doing :)

Glad you've got an answer to SOMETHING at least! If nothing else, you're feeling better! There's a bonus right there....I hope this helps you in the long run too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails