07 June 2012

Three Years

3 years ago today, The Husband and I were married. 2 years ago today, we decided that we were ready to grow our family. 2 weeks after that, we found out we were pregnant with our first child. These two years have been the hardest, saddest, most draining two years of my life.
5 miscarriages.
Dozens of medical tests.
Countless times I've almost left.
But I'm still here. I remember reading a post Sharon (hi Sharon! I miss your blog!) wrote on one of her anniversaries. In the post, she said that she and her husband didn't do anything particularly special but they did hold each other and cry. I never understood that. Why would you cry on an anniversary, a celebration? Now, I get it. This anniversary is a concrete reminder of how much time has passed since my life has changed, how much I have changed. I have lost (and gained), my hopes and dreams have been shattered and reformed, and somehow I'm still in the game.
2 years ago I was naive and thought pregnancy meant a child to take home and raise. I know better now. It has been a huge struggle, and a huge wake up call. It's only been three years of marriage, but it feels like so much longer. This morning, we held each other and I cried. This life is not what I thought it would be, and not necessarily what I wanted it to be, but we have managed to keep on going.
Today, on our third anniversary of marriage, we mailed in our official homestudy application. The door that seemed so abruptly slammed in our faces has led us on a new path. I know better than to expect everything will work out, but we are hoping that sometime in the next 6 to 12 months we will welcome a child, or children, into our lives adoption.
This was by no means an easy decision; the guilt and shame that come with RPL led me to resist this path for a long time. I sometimes still feel jealous that my husband has a biokid with someone else but couldn't with me. However, after much research and discussion it suddenly dawned on both of us that this was the right choice. From our losses will come something beautiful - we will be able to give waiting children a home. This will be our journey together.
  



7 comments:

Jan said...

Hello. We don't know each other but I have followed your blog for some time now, only commenting once before. I think you are incredibly brave and honorable woman. I also think it's great that you and your husband have decided to adopt two little girls from another country. I'm sure it won't be an easy process but I do believe it will be worth it. I moved to China a little over a year ago and although I haven't been to the orphanages here yet(I have two young boys of my own), a good friend of mine volunteers at them. You will certainly be drastically changing the lives of those little girls who I'm sure want little more than the love of a mom and dad. I'm not a religious person but I do believe that everything happens for a reason, sometimes it just takes a long time for that reason to become clear.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your husband and, on the off chance that the girls are from China, please don't hesitate to ask me any questions that you may have. I know very little about the adoption process but I have been living here long enough that I may be able to be of some assistance.

Good luck to you both!

Maria said...

Best of luck to you!

Pretend Mommy said...

I'm so happy you are more at peace it seems. Good luck and can you send me the link? Pretendmommy@gmail.com

jenner said...

Good luck to you and your husband in this next step of your journey. I have followed your blog for a while now. It has helped me immensely in my family as a stepmom to a rambunctious stepdaughter. FH and I haven't had any kids yet, but I would love to follow your adoption blog if you felt inclined to send me a link.

Carol said...

Reading other blogs gives an understanding that we are not the only ones doing it tough.
Of course means I'm not getting much work done this week as I'm like Alice down the rabbit hole... One blog leads to the next!
Good luck with the adoption.

Lindsay Lou said...

I am so happy to hear that you have accepted a different path to becoming a Mom. Those two little girls are going to be so very lucky! Good luck on your new journey and I would very much love to follow that blog! Linshenderson@Gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary.... this post made me want to cry - I so relate to you - I think you are amazing!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails