
I have been so neglectful of this blog. I have hardly logged in to blogger over the past few weeks to check up on how all my friends are doing. And ironically, it is not because things are going well. In fact, I probably could have written a relevant post for every day of the past few weeks. But between work and life, I just haven't had the energy.
I try not to focus on the negative anyway, because if I did then this would be a black hole of negativity. Though I must admit, most days, the advice I receive from you makes the negativity melt away.
On that note, thank you for all your kind words about our little trip up north. I expected comments along the lines of, "Act your age, you're the adult..." so it was nice to read some support. I still do feel that I could have been a bit more graceful in the situation, that I could have taken the whole thing less personally. It's something to work on, I guess.
Today, I want to share about a can of worms I fear I opened yesterday. In total ignorance, mind you. I suppose I won't know the consequences until this weekend...
The Kid's grades have been slipping lately. There are numerous of reasons behind this, one of which is lack of parental supervision on homework. Generally, this is something I stay out of unless my help is needed on an assignment. This is not easy for me. I'm a former teacher and watching him slack drives me batty!
His worst grade right now is English. (Did I mention I was an English teacher?!?) He failed his last book report because he did not read the book. He didn't even start the book until two days before the report was due. And it's not for lack of material; we have more books in our house than furniture.
He now has one month to read a new book of his choice and complete another book report. This time, I wasn't standing idly by.
Yesterday, I left work early and went home (he's with us for school vacation). I ordered his shoes and socks on, threw him in my car and off we went to the bookstore to pick a new book. We rarely spend time together, just me and The Kid. But when we do, I notice that he opens up. I don't know if its because he knows I'll relay anything important back to his father or if he just feels comfortable being honest because I'm not really a parent.
We were driving along and he was telling me about some of the drama at his mother's house. It's a little out of control, but it has nothing to do with me (well, not directly) so I'm not going to elaborate. He then said he doesn't consider that house "home," that his home is our house.
"I just want to live with Dad all the time. I don't want to be at Mom's," he sighed.
"Well have you told Dad that?" I asked.
He looked down at his feet for some time, then replied. "No. Should I?"
"I think you should definitely talk to Dad about that. But honestly, I don't know if there's anything he can do. Your mom has all the decision making power. She has full custody."
"But when I'm 16 I can say what I want, right?" he asked.
I thought about it for a minute. I know the laws well in our state, as I'm sure any stepmom who has had to help her partner fight for his rights does.
"Twelve actually. You have a say as to where you live, go to school, all that stuff when you're twelve."
"Are you sure?" he asked, perking up.
"Yeah, I'm sure. I looked this stuff up a few years back. You know..." I didn't need to elaborate why. We both remember.
The Kid was quiet for a long while. "Twelve. Twelve. At twelve I could have said I want to live at Dad's? At twelve I could have had my name changed back*?"
"I'm not sure about the name thing. But I know twelve is the age of recognition in the court for custody issues. It all depends on what is in your best interests," I answered, honestly and carefully.
Have you ever seen the look of rage that flashes into a teenage boy's eyes when he realizes he has been lied to? Like, seriously lied to?
I have.
"MY MOTHER SAID I COULD HAVE A SAY WHEN I WAS 16! SHE SAID THAT WAS THE AGE. SHE TOLD ME I HAD TO LIVE WITH HER UNTIL I WAS 16 THEN WE COULD CHANGE IF I WANTED TO," he screamed at me.
Oh shit.
"Er. Um. Maybe she didn't know," I stuttered.
"SHE KNOWS. SHE FUCKING KNOWS. IT'S HER JOB TO KNOW THAT SHIT," he snapped back. Then, in a whisper, "She lied to me." There were tears in his eyes.
He's right. His mom is a child and family therapist (yipes!). She's in the court all the time for work. She knows what the deal is.
I had to do everything in my power not to cry. If he wasn't screaming so loudly, I'm quite sure the sound of my heart cracking in half for him would have been audible. His hurt, dense and thick, filled the cabin of the car. I know I wasn't the one to cause the hurt, but I sure felt like it.
Eventually he calmed down. I took the long way to the bookstore so he could regain his composure. We tried to talk it out, and I tried as best I know how to be impartial. Truthfully, I don't know that I want him with us full-time. It's a big change, especially as The Husband and I discuss growing our family with more children. Of course, I will do whatever is best for him, and living with us just might be it.
I cheered him up (bribed him?) with an amazing cupcake and he ended up picking a book that he's already read three chapters of. The issue didn't come up again. I haven't had much more than a whispered conversation with my husband about it, as we haven't had time or privacy to talk.
The Kid will see his mother today.
Should I be worried?
'Cos I am.
*When The Kid was 9 The Ex changed her name and his name back to her maiden name. I have written about this before, but to no great extent. It is a huge issue of conflict between all members of the first family. It is also the primary reason that I changed my last name upon marriage; the heartbreak my husband suffered over his child being stripped of his name was incomparable. No one else has his last name; he never met his father. It just him. Now me.


16 comments:
Yeah I think you are rightfully worried.
I don't know exactly what the laws are in my state, but I can remember the terror in my heart when SS first told us "Mama said I can decide where I want to live when I turn 16." His birthday was a week away.
I think The Kid is going to make his mother's life very, very unhappy for a while, and her pain is likely to affect you. You'll be in my thoughts.
P.S. I think changing the kid's name was selfishly trying to erase his past and connection with his father. I don't blame him for being upset.
I can understand how you feel bad, but honestly, he would have found out she was lying at some point, either by looking it up on his own or asking someone else.
Try not to beat yourself up over it, and if it does turn into a shit storm this weekend, remember YOU AREN'T THE ONE WHO LIED. This is the consequences to her lies, and she will have to deal with them. We deal with this a lot. Even though the Kid is only 11, BM lies a lot. While we don't bad mouth her, we also don't go out of our way to cover up her lies. If we lie to cover up for her, it makes us no better than she is.
Good luck this weekend, I hope things go smoothly.
I have absolutely no experience with this kinda thing and can't help at all. Good luck, and I hope everything works out! :-(
I started to tear up when I read that. I'm sorry you both are having to deal with this.
I think him moving in is a decision that you should discuss and make sure everyone is on the same page. It can be a difficult transition.
You'll be in my thoughts because I don't think this is going to be easy for anyone the next couple of days.
WOW what a moment to share with your stepson. The best part is you had no idea why he thought 16 was the magic number so telling him the truth made you look that much better. Its no wonder why he opens up to you so much, you are honest with him and treat him like a young adult. All kids are lied to by their parents but this kind of thing is NOT something that should be lied about. I don't blame you for not being 100% ready for the kid to move in. I think about the son coming to live with us and like everything else there are positives and negatives. Since you have such a good realtionship with the son I am sure that would help make things easier. Still a change no less.
I completely understand about the name thing. We have the same situation, the BF has been there for everything (even when he wasn't for sure it was his baby) and in the end PEG gave the son her fathers last name....she supposedly hates her father so why she would want her son to carry on that name makes no sense other than just to hurt the BF. It makes me sad, luckily I think we are going to take that to court after we get married and see if we can't get that changed.
I will keep sending positive vibes your way and hope this weekend doesn't blow up. If it does it all falls back on the BM whether she likes it or not. Keep us posted, miss reading your posts!!
I think you should be worried. I also think you did the right thing.... good luck! Keep us posted!
Ok, deep breaths. You did the right thing by being honest. His mother shouldn't have lied to him. Things will work out and I will be thinking of you and your family. Sending my positive vibes your way.
Deep breaths...chin up!!
p.s. glad to have your posts back, you were missed!!
I'm sure you'll hear about it from the BM, but you were honest & you can't be sorry for that... In the end, the kid is going to know that you were always honest with im & his own mother was a lying sack of... well... something ;)
Sometimes I can't wait for my stepkids to catch their mom in a lie, just so they understand that she'll stop at nothing to get her own way... (does that make me an awful person?) What a horrible thing to lie about, though. I choked up when reading what the Kid said when he found out. :( Poor thing. Sigh.
Regarding the can of worm's you've opened - just another one of stepparenting's gifts: even when you're the good guy, you're the bad guy.
I don't know if you should be worried or not but it sure sounds like mom should be. Lying to children is not good in any situation. Lying to a teen... well, when they catch you- look out for the fall out!
I think you were right to be honest with him.
I think you did the best you could with that situation. Whew! What a tough one! You were honest and open with him. You didn't trash his mom. You acted like a caring, supportive step-parent.
I think I would have cried if I'd been in the car with him. You're doing such a great job. Stay strong!
You can't be held responsible for someone else deceiving him. I think in the end, if he found out and then found out that you knew about the age thing too, then he would have felt like two people had deceived him. I remember when my SS entered the teenage years where he was wanting to make decisions on where he lived etc. And he ping-ponged back and forth a bit, but I guess that's all part of growing up. I also remember days like you described where it was just the two of us. SS and I had a chance to talk, and sometimes he'd tell me things first before telling his Dad. I was actually cool once upon a time....It all goes by so quickly. - G
I agree with the guilty pleasure expressed by Practical Stepmom - it breaks my heart when BioB hurts Punky, but it makes me feel better on a certain level when she realizes that BioB has been lying to her.
I'm so sorry for your stepson.
And doesn't it drive you nuts when something significant like this that needs to be addressed in private comes up and you just can't find the privacy to talk about it?
I'm so sorry for The Kid - can't believe his mom changed his last name - i don't even want to ask how she got around your DH on that.
Should you worry about recent events? No. You did not lie to him. If he brings this up with his mother, she may lash out at you - remember: hurt people hurt people. You do not have to take her pain personally. Recognize that this is her pain and her turmoil and you don't have to buy the ticket for her guilt trip.
xxxoo
Ah Yes. I remember well the first time mine had to acknowledge that he'd been lied to.
Hugs Lady. I know it sucks, but at least he's being proactive.
Post a Comment