15 July 2010

Big News


Back in April, I wrote this post about how my experience as a stepmom has helped me decide that I would like to be a mother to my own children. Your comments really meant a lot to me in that post, and led to many discussions with The Husband about what we felt was the right time for us. He has always been of the camp that we will make it work, whenever it happens. My Type A personality leads me to think of all the practical, and not-so-practical, issues involved in such a life change.
I have had this nagging feeling that now is the time, despite the fact that I'm young and, statistically, have "plenty of time." Maybe it's my biological clock ticking, or maybe it's something greater. I don't know.
But I do know that yesterday I saw a tiny heart beating on an ultrasound machine. Yesterday, I saw with my own eyes that I am now a mom.
Whoa.
Aside from my husband, three of my best friends, two co-workers (who I had to tell because of the nature of my job) and my brother, who deduced it by himself, you (yes, you, the entire interweb!) are the only ones I have told. Erring on the side of caution, we're waiting to spread the news to our friends and family until we're a bit further along. I figured I could share on this venue because the support you all offer me is unparalleled and I would want (and need) that same support if anything were to go wrong.
Stepfamily-wise, we won't be telling The Kid until the end of August. I'm very nervous about his reaction and really hoping that he takes it well. I'm also really hoping that his mother doesn't try to put a negative spin on the situation. And that she doesn't use this as an excuse to go batshit crazy again.
So I apologize for the lack of updates, but I've been completely wiped and a bit overwhelmed. Once work calms down I'll have more time to catch up, because, boy, do I have a lot of catching up to do!

26 comments:

Life of a Stepmama said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously have tears in my eyes at work right now!! I am SOOOOO EXCITED for you, I could not be happier. You will make an AMAZING mother. I had a feeling your post was going to say you were pregnant, and it did!!!!!! What truly wonderful news. I cannot wait to hear the details, and all about your pregnancy and everything. This is a very special time for you and your husband, don't let ANYONE take that away from you, the kid included. I am sure he will be excited, but he is at a tough age. I really hope this helps bring your family even closer together. This has made my day!!! Thank you so much for sharing, I wish you all the best and know everything will come together just right. JOY JOY JOY!

Can I ask how long you guys were trying for? Hubbs and I have just recently gotten to this point so I have total baby brain!

Eyes Wide Open said...

A Life of a Stepmama - We decided to stop preventing in June, but not really trying, and wham bam thank you maam I'm knocked up. We were bit surprised!
But, I do say this with the greatest sensitivity to those that are struggling with infertility...my heart goes out to anyone and everyone who is having any sort of difficulty making their dreams of parenthood a reality.

Katy said...

Congratulations!! This is so exciting and I can't wait to hear more about it.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!! I scrolled down to the bottom of the post to read the good news! (I couldn't wait!) Congratulations! I am soooo happy for you! - G
(And now I will go back and read the whole post.)

Sharon said...

Congratulations! What a surprise! I know you'll be a great mom :)

Life of a Stepmama said...

That is AWESOME, I love to hear when it happens out of the blue like that!! Very exciting. Can't wait to hear more. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Congrats!! I am thrilled for you this is so great!! Can't wait to see further updates....

JaNae said...

I thought that this would be the perfect oportunity for me to come out of lurker status. Congrats on your fantastic news! I'm very excited for you and your husband, and The Kid.

Anonymous said...

So, so, so beyond happy for you!!! What an awesome time for you and your husband. Don't let anyone steal your joy right now, you deserve to be as elated as you undoubtedly are!

Hugs and best wishes to you and your little tiny miracle ; )

thoughts of a Wicked Stepmother said...

Congratulations! You will make a good mommy! In my case when I added my own to the brew it seemed to bring a bit of a calm. They then will have a little one in common with you. My step children love their little siblings. I hope it goes smooth for you and the transition is good. Again, congratulations!

Kalle said...

Congratulations!!!! That is such awesome news. Nothing beats the first ultrasound. I`m so happy for you and your husband. Wishing you a fantastic pregnancy!

Amy said...

Congrats!

Sometimes_Carol said...

YAY!! Happy Dance!! :)

Dont' let anyone steal your joy! Not The Kid or his mother!!

Turtle Runner said...

Yeah! Congratulations!!! :)

Stepmomma Love said...

CONGRATS!!! So happy for you! That is amazingly wonderful news and I can't wait to hear more!
Don't let the Kid or his crazy mother put a damper how special this time is and how amazing your child will be! Wishing you all the best!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you I have tears in my eyes. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and hoping everything (pregnancy, telling The Kid, the ex, etc) goes smoothly for you!!

dragonflymama said...

CONGRATS! How exciting. You will be a great mom. You already are:)

Crys said...

Congratulations!! That is so exciting. I was a bit upset when I first found out I was pregnant because it wasn't planned, it didn't feel like the right time and all that jazz. But as soon as I saw her I totally fell in love with her. I can't wait to have my baby. I hope your experience goes well!

kate said...

How wonderful! Congratulations!!! I hope everything goes smoothly for you, including the telling of The Kid and his mom's reaction. Thank you for sharing your special news with us!

Talia said...

This is wonderful news! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your blessed news with us! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care of YOU!

Stepmom in Training said...

I am so so so so so excited for you! I know we don't know each other, but feel more excited for you than some of the people I truly know in person. Maybe it's the stepmom in us :)

Keep us posted on all the exciting details!!! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!

D said...

Yay!!! Congrats!!!! I'm so excited for you. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Pretend Mommy said...

That is great news!! So excited for you. Try to focus on yourself during this time. Congrats...

Shutterbug Mama said...

Congrats! When I told my own step daughter about my pregnancies she was totally happy...hope you have the same reaction. Either way, don't let anyone take away the joy of bringing a life into the world.

Smirking Cat said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you!

I think it is important that when you tell Stepson about it, you also talk to him about how he thinks his mother will react to it, and how he feels about that. The reason I say that is I am not even pregnant, and the PEW in our situation has already told the kids that if I have a baby, I and their father will love that baby more than we do them. It seems ingrained that a jealous, spiteful ex is going to put a negative spin on this and try to make Stepson resent the baby and you. Maybe preparing him for the bullshit he will hear, and maybe talking about how to handle it, will help him out and keep it happy as possible.

Kela said...

Yay!!!!! I am absolutely happy for you! After almost 10 years of remarriage, my husband and I had a child together, too! He's 4 months old and we are all so completely in love with him. This is an amazing moment for all of you! Enjoy. Oh and sleep now while you can!

Related Posts with Thumbnails