12 August 2010

Not To Be

Our restful weekend away turned out to be one of the worst weekends of my life. If you follow me on Twitter (which I rarely use, but did this weekend), you probably already know that while up in the mountains I lost my pregnancy. I started spotting the day we left and by the next day was worried enough to go to the ER. The nurse told me everything was fine. The doctor told me everything was fine but he was going to order a routine ultrasound. The ultrasound tech saw no heartbeat. After 8 hours in the ER, we went back to our hotel room devastated. I called my midwife the next morning and she wanted me home just in case any complications arose. Thank jeebus we came home. The bleeding turned to hemorrhaging then quickly turned to an emergency situation and I was rushed to our hospital (luckily only four blocks from our home) for an emergency D & C. Alas, I am no longer pregnant.
I am disappointed, but I do understand that this is nature's way of saying, "This really isn't going to work out." The doctor who performed the surgery said it's perfectly natural (though of course that doesn't soften the blow) and that everything looks fine in my babymaker so I shouldn't have any problems in the future. I don't know if we'll be trying again in the near future...this may have been one of the most traumatic experiences of my life and I don't know that I'm ready to be pregnant again. I'm pretty sure I'll be a major shitshow for the duration of the pregnancy if we do have another.
The worst part of all this was probably telling The Kid. I was in the hospital on his scheduled pick up day and his mother was being impossibly difficult about him not coming over. As usual she HAD to know what was going on and refused to accommodate our request until we told her what the medical emergency was (control freak?). The Husband refused and picked up The Kid behind The Ex's back for a few hours so he could explain. If there's anyone in the world I don't want to know about this it's her. I don't need her to dance around her cauldron at my misfortune. She flipped when she figured out The Kid had been picked up and went to her boyfriend's, telling The Husband if he could pick up The Kid for a few hours then he could take him for the routine visit (at that point I almost wanted him to tell her so she would feel like an absolute heel).
The Kid is devastated....big, gasping, sobbing tears. He was concerned that I was going to die and then horrified. He goes to a Catholic school, so the images in his head were of the anti-choice propaganda he has been shown at school. We assured him that though we were all excited, it wasn't a "baby" yet and that the instructions for growing into a baby were glitched, something was wrong and it had to happen. The last thing he said: "I don't want to be too old to spend time with my little brother or sister," through alligator tears. Crack went my heart.
Because I was not to be left alone due to the circumstances, The Kid had to go back to his mom's just in case. He didn't want to leave, but assured me his lips were sealed (I didn't even ask) and it was no one's business but ours "because we're tight like that." His mom stayed at her fiance's all night, and he was left with his grandma, who they live with. Nice, huh?
I have to admit, it makes me mad that someone like her had a perfect pregnancy and a perfect baby and is such a monster. The Husband and I are firm believers in karma and do our best to do right by everyone. Yes, we make mistakes but our intentions are always honorable. I thought maybe this pregnancy was my reward for that. I know making comparisons is only torturing myself but it really does seem unfair. I truly hope that one day I can be a "real" mom. But I'm not ready to try again just yet.

Though choices one makes during pregnancy and pregnancy loss are very personal, my advice after my own experience is this:
1. Tell your family and anyone you would want support from about your pregnancy early in your pregnancy. It is so meaningful to share in the joy before you reveal the news to the general populace and their support if you do miscarry is invaluable. When I was at the hospital here, my sister drove down from her house (an hour away) to put away all pregnancy related things in my house before I came home. I have had a constant stream of visitors bringing food (and ice cream!), movies and just company. My mom bought groceries for the rest of the week and stayed to cook dinner last night. The gentle calls and texts just checking in have been really nice, and feeling this much love when you feel so empty is invaluable.
2. If you do miscarry, opt for the D&C as soon as you can. I opted to miscarry on my own because I felt that I hadn't really had a chance to feel anything of this pregnancy. I was so incredibly stressed out and busy with work the three months I was pregnant that I never really got to experience anything except exhaustion. I figured I may as well experience this; I just wanted to do it naturally. Bad choice. It was very painful physically, and very traumatic emotionally. You don't want to feel it, and you don't want to see it. Trust me. It was scary, and in the end I needed the D&C anyway on an emergency basis. My husband was so worried he could barely keep it together. I've never been to the hospital before for anything so my first visit on an emergency basis was...unforgettable.
3. If you work, take time off. I took the rest of the week off. I'm a very stubborn woman and always think I can do everything and do it by myself. Truth is, I'm still full of pregnancy hormones but not pregnant. I'm still having some physical discomfort and my pregnancy body is returning to a non-pregnancy body. Though I'm fine, I still have my moments. A stray pregnancy magazine under the couch or an email from babycenter.com sends me to a different place. Realizing the new bras I bought already are too big sends me flying to my room to change my clothes. It's little reminders but they are everywhere and you don't want to be at work trying to mask your feelings. Personally, I need to acknowledge them to move on.
4. Eat ice cream for breakfast. Just because you can.

Thank you all for letting my share my excitement and joy here, for all your wonderful comments and for your support. Though I don't "know" any of you, I feel like I got to share something wonderful with a circle of great friends. It means a lot to me. You guys rock!

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Hug, hug, hug. I am so sorry for your loss.

Sharon said...

Again, I am so sorry and my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad you have a circle of wonderful friends and family to offer support when you need it most. xoxo

Shutterbug Mama said...

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing something so unbelievably personal with us. You and your family are in my prayers.

Pretend Mommy said...

My heart is breaking for you. My thoughts and prayers are going your way. Your child was unique, special and irreplaceable. Take all the time you need to grieve your loss.

Don't feel guilty because you have a good day.

Kalle said...

What a tragic loss for you. No parent should ever have to feel such a loss. I'm so glad that you have a great support system around you. And ice cream for breakfast sounds pretty yummy.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Take all the time you need. As much as you must be hurting, from your words it sounds as if you are handling this as well as is humanly possible. I don't know that I could be so brave.

Hugs to you!

Sometimes_Carol said...

I agree that it doesn't seem fair..

(((big HUGS)))

And coffee heath bar crunch is my fave ice cream!!

D said...

I am so sorry for your loss. This just doesn't seem fair. Know that there are many of us sending positive and healing energy to you all the time. You will be in my thoughts frequently.

FireCracker! said...

I have had 2 miscarriages and an ectopic. I am so sorry for your loss. And i totally get not telling the BM... our psycho Bm gloated and made nasty comments about mine....

Crys said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am glad, however, that you guys were home when the scary stuff started happening. Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Big hug to you and your family. It doesn't seem fair at all. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I am so sorry to hear this had happened. I am glad to hear that you have had the love and support of your family to help get you through this.

As far as BM, what a controlling bitch. It does almost make you want to tell her just so she can have an open mouth, insert foot moment.

Amy said...

So sorry for your loss!

Eyes Wide Open said...

@ Carol - I've been totally craving Heath bar ice cream! I settled for Ben & Jerry's "Everything But The..." (which I'm pretty sure is everything but good for me) - vanilla and chocolate ice cream, heath bars, peanut butter cups, chocolate covered almonds and white chocolate chunks. Go big or go home! Plus, I need all that extra stuff if I'm eating it for a meal, right?
Thanks everyone for the kind words, you all made me smile. You have no idea how much your support means to me. xoxo

Pam said...

I don't Twitter, and I'm so sad to hear this! I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm so, so sorry. When I read your blog title this afternoon on my phone, my heart sank and I was afraid to open up the post. I'm sorry I missed your tweets this weekend and that I couldn't be here sooner to offer you my prayers. I'm thinking of you and your husband and sending you gentle hugs and lots of virtual Ben & Jerry's. -G

Katy said...

I am so, so sorry.

perdido said...

I'm so sorry. What an awful experience. I am glad the boy was so supportive though.

Life of a Stepmama said...

So sorry to be catching up, I read your blog post and got worried. I am truly sorry you had to go through that. It sounds terrible, and I like you believe in Karma, its just not fair. I wish there was something I could do. Know that I am sending you good vibes, and lots of hugs. Wishing you the best, glad you took some time off. I really cannot believe the BM is such a complete witch, that kind of crap is insane.

Smirking Cat said...

I am so sorry. You are right, it is not fair at all. To have to deal with the BM's bullshit on top of what you were already going through is inexcusable.

When will you be able to spend time with your stepson again? It's sad he can't rely on his biological mother for support right now.

Take care of yourself. I am truly sorry.

Anonymous said...

So very sorry for your loss. Sending lots of hugs and prayers and good thoughts. Hope you can get some rest and so glad you have so many good people surrounding you during this time.

dragonflymama said...

Oh-I am thinking of you. How brave you are to write about it all. Thank you for sharing your experiences, and keep eating that ice cream for breakfast. We're all with you:)

kate said...

*hugs* I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your husband and The Kid are in my thoughts and prayers.

DDawson said...

I am so sorry to hear about your weekend and your loss. Your post about The Kid and how he reacted to the news made me cry and this just breaks my heart. Hugs to you.

Unknown said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. Sending you huge hugs from NH. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I'm here if you need me.

Please take oodles and oodles of time for yourself...

Love,
Peggy

Talia said...

So very sorry for your loss. Please be gentle with yourself and take time to heal - body and soul.

Kind thoughts, prayers and hugs to you...

Kela said...

My heart sunk when I read this; so very sorry for your loss. Personally, I've had 2 miscarriages before recently having my son so I know the pain you are feeling right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Sending you a great big hug!!

*Kela*

Related Posts with Thumbnails