29 December 2010

Bah Humbug


Christmas has come and gone, and contrary to my initial feelings about the holiday, it was great.
Thanks to the distraction Future Stepdad, there was no drama surrounding The Kid spending time with his dad, for the first time ever. As is the norm lately, The Ex couldn't wait to dump him with us and get on with her "new family."
The Kid was totally psyched about all his gifts - as in, launched across to the room to hug me (me! not dad!) when he opened a few. This was also a first, because usually my presence in the room is forgotten on Christmas. It was nice to be remembered, especially this year. I had asked The Husband to talk to The Kid about politely opening gifts and thanking everyone for the gift, even if it wasn't something he loved, or even wanted. I am used to his occasional rudeness, but I didn't want others feelings hurt. I was so impressed with his politeness, and when I thanked The Husband for talking to him he said he had forgotten to. Dare I say The Kid is actually learning some manners?!
The Husband and I totally scored with our gift giving. Everyone was thrilled with the presents we picked out, and not for their cost or shiny-newness but rather for the thought we put into them. I always get so excited to see someone surprised and thrilled with something they've received.
A few days before Christmas, I took The Kid to get some gifts for various family members. I was shocked (but, not really) that his mother and stepdad hadn't taken him shopping for that side of the family. He was quite resistant to shopping for them for a few reasons: 1. he is infuriated with them right now 2. he is spoiled and doesn't understand giving, only receiving and 3. he's lazy and wanted to play video games. Dragging him out of the house was a chore, but once he was out he had fun picking gifts that he thought people would like. He got a few things for dad, something for Grandma (my MIL), a few things for his uncle (his mom's brother), something for stepdad and something for Granny (his mom's mom). He didn't get something for mom because he had already made her something. It was especially tough to get him to pick something for his Granny because she has been among the worst for the vicious words against us (ex: she told him God took our baby because we would be terrible parents and He didn't want us to have a baby). Is it just me, or is it weird that his mother didn't take him shopping for gifts for her family? I mean, I despise those people, but it's all about teaching The Kid about the spirit of the season, right? Regardless, he was excited to wrap everything up and couldn't even wait until Christmas to give the gifts. I am so proud of him.
My whole family gathered in our bungalow for dinner and though we may have been short on chairs, we were certainly not short on love. Everyone had a great time and they have voted our house the new Christmas dinner destination.
Last week, I really wasn't looking forward to Christmas. I could see nothing but frustration coming from the day. But sometimes I think expecting the worst is the way to go, because then even a good day seems great.

10 comments:

Shutterbug Mama said...

I'm glad it ended up being a wonderful holiday for you. You deserve it.

D said...

My husband is really weird about having the kids buy gifts for people as well. Obviously, I wouldn't make them pay for the gifts themselves, but the kids have NEVER picked out gifts for their grandparents (husband's parents). Their grandparents get them a ton of stuff each year, in addition to taking care of them several times a week. I even had to remind the husband to take the kids out to get stuff for me. It wasn't that they didn't want to get me a gift, it's that no one brought it up and took them. Arg. It's incredibly annoying. Okay -- done now... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a nice holiday :)

Chickie said...

I'm glad that Christmas was nice for you.

Re: the Kid hugging you - isn't it great when that spontaneously happens? :)

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I am glad to hear that your Christmas turned out better than you expected. What his Granny said was horrible, but at least he realizes how horrible she is.

Smirking Cat said...

So glad your Christmas was nice. His granny sounds like a despicable person; I hope she got a functioning heart and a brain for Christmas.

I also wasn't looking forward to Christmas, but it was a nice surprise here too. Happy New Year!

Just Me said...

Granny is a . . . you know what word I am thinking. At least he has enough sense to realize that what she said is just hurtful but not actually true.

And. . . no, I don't find it odd that mom did not take her child shopping for presents for her family. Mom over here didn't, either. I took SD shopping and she got something for her brother and sister (Mom's kids, not my hubby's) and her maternal grandmother AND her mom.

Glad things went well for Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Wonderful New Year.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you made it through and that everything worked out well. Like you, I was surprised and pleased with how smoothly our Christmas went. I guess I'm still working on the art of letting go and not worrying about other people's hsppiness. Wishing you all the best for the New Year! - G

dragonflymama said...

Glad you had a peaceful, and surprising holiday. It's nice when things turn out better than you ahd thought they would. Maybe some of the good vibes can last a while :)

Amy said...

I'm so glad you ended up having a nice holiday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails