I was on the treadmill at the gym yesterday watching some garbage TV. My gym has those awesome treadmills with the built-in TVs so you can watch whatever program you prefer. I always choose garbage TV (think TLC reality shows). Anyhow, during a commercial break, I saw an ad for the movie It's Complicated. My first thought was, "No. This can't be right, this can't be a movie about long divorced parents who, years later, get back together. No freakin' way."As a devoted 30 Rock fan, I think Alec Baldwin is hilarious. That aside, his acrid custody battle with ex-wife Kim Basinger was all over the news a several years back. He was a huge advocate for father's rights and one of the first to publicly acknowledge parental alienation. He knows first-hand the horrors of divorce.
Yes, he hit a wall and left an angry phone message left for his daughter a couple of years ago, a message that was, in all likelihood, full of rage towards his ex but horribly misdirected. There is no excuse for that behavior, but I think many of us in stepfamily situations can understand how such a mistake can be made.
Knowing all of this, I am completely dumbfounded on why Baldwin would choose to act in this movie. Granted I haven't yet seen the film and maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Here's the synopsis:
Jane (Streep) is the mother of three grown kids, owns a thriving Santa Barbara bakery/restaurant and has—after a decade of divorce—an amicable relationship with her ex-husband, attorney Jake (Baldwin). But when Jane and Jake find themselves out of town for their son’s college graduation, things start to get complicated. An innocent meal together turns into the unimaginable—an affair. With Jake remarried to the much younger Agness (Lake Bell), Jane is now, of all things, the other woman.
Umm, ew! Alec? You're playing into this whole thing after what you've been through?
I'll freely admit that, for me, being a second wife comes with a big fat wad of insecurity. My husband met his ex-wife when he was 15. They dated 5 years, then she got pregnant and they married 3 years later. She's been in his life for nearly 20 years. Me? 6. They have a kid together, the first child for each of them. They have a long (albeit twisted, angry and hurtful) history. The wacked-out soap opera in my head is full of fears of the two of them reconciling at some later date in their lives, like the birth of a grandchild or some other significant kid-related event. (I know this is so very unlikely, but that doesn't mean I don't think it!)
So when I saw the preview for this movie and then did some reading up on it, I wasn't thrilled. I don't know how it ends or any of the plot dynamics, but the whole premise just makes me ill. I don't need an all-star cast making light of my insecurities! Stepkids, adult or otherwise, don't need more media playing into the happily-ever-after fairytale bs. Between Stepfather and this, I'm gonna say 2009's theatrical portrayal of stepfamily life is, well, bunk.
If any of you see the movie, please let me know what you think.
I'll freely admit that, for me, being a second wife comes with a big fat wad of insecurity. My husband met his ex-wife when he was 15. They dated 5 years, then she got pregnant and they married 3 years later. She's been in his life for nearly 20 years. Me? 6. They have a kid together, the first child for each of them. They have a long (albeit twisted, angry and hurtful) history. The wacked-out soap opera in my head is full of fears of the two of them reconciling at some later date in their lives, like the birth of a grandchild or some other significant kid-related event. (I know this is so very unlikely, but that doesn't mean I don't think it!)
So when I saw the preview for this movie and then did some reading up on it, I wasn't thrilled. I don't know how it ends or any of the plot dynamics, but the whole premise just makes me ill. I don't need an all-star cast making light of my insecurities! Stepkids, adult or otherwise, don't need more media playing into the happily-ever-after fairytale bs. Between Stepfather and this, I'm gonna say 2009's theatrical portrayal of stepfamily life is, well, bunk.
If any of you see the movie, please let me know what you think.


12 comments:
Nooooooooo! Please Nooooooo! I hear every single word you are saying! I'm so totally with you on this. Insecurity? Absolutely. Why is this fodder for a feature-film? I can only hope that the ending favors the second marriage and infidelity, even bewteen exes is not condoned. F....K! I read on another blog that the film 2012 had a similar dumb-ass plot line where the first family triumphs and gets back together. Sorry if that was a spoiler for you.
Argggg! - G
Don't worry G! I wasn't planning on going to see 2012, and now I most certainly won't. Blech! Thanks for the warning.
I agree with you guys! I don't know what is up with these movies, the number of blended families is growing, why can't we get some more air time?!!?
Do you know what, Ive got a fabulous blended family: 4 step kids ages 20 down to 15 and ten there's my daughter who is 12, they all introduce her to friends as their little sister and she loves, loves, LOVES it when they're at our house which is quite a lot. Ive got a great relationship with all--especially the oldest, but sometimes step-daughter number 3 has little jealousy issues with me (but she has this about a lot of things with a lot of people), etc etc etc.
Then there's the ex wife. She hasn't found a new partner so she still acts more than appropriately buddy-buddy with my hubby. He sees it as a great thing, they're friends, they get a long, there's less stress for the kids. I can see (and my family can see) that she still has a seat at his table.
We're currently trying to get pregnant and I want to for many reasons but Ive just read recently that if I have a baby with hubby then things change a lot (especially in my favour).
Im not worried about him getting back with her, even for a night, but I am sick of feeling like wife number 2 from time to time, rather than just wife.
Oh, hello, by the way! ;) Love the blog, been looking for blogs like this. Clearly, judging by my rant.
As if Disney hasn't given stepmom's a bad enough rap... good grief!
YOu'd think the drama we stepmom's deal with from the phsycho ex wives would be enough of a lure for a great thriller movie...
sigh...
@Michelloui Hi! Nicetameetya, thanks for stopping by.
@Carol that is a great idea! Maybe we should all band together and pen a script about a psycho ex wife...
What is it with these movies? Are all these writers children wishing their parents would get back together? grr!! Why doesn't someone write a movie where the BM is the evil one and the steppie is the hero? Now that's a movie I would see! :)
Insecurity? I've got tons of it. My husband and the ex were friends through school, started dating in highschool and then she got pregnant so he of course married her. They had so much history and here I am the newbie that hasn't had his children. Oh the drama.
I saw the trailer to this stupid movie at the movies...I look at Richard and say "no freaking way."
He looked at me like I had three heads and I said, "that's every second wife's biggest fear."
In the beginning, I met Richard when I was 16. He was 17. We were a hot item for 6 months in high school. He broke up with me. Started dating his ex-wife. On again/off again/rinse and repeat...
They got married in 1984, had four kids, got divorced 17 years later...
He and I have been married three years, even though we've known each other since 1980 (I left town in 1983, joined the Air Force, got married, had two kids of my own, yadda yadda)
But still...ain't paying cash to see this movie. NOPE.
Was just telling my hubby about this movie & he'd said that he'd rather be gay than ever even think about being with his ex again... I thought it was funny :) & just the right thing to say! LoL!
This inspired my post today over at DSW. I linked back to yours here but come and have a read and let me know what you think! - G
I saw this movie trailer as well but missed half of it because my eyes were rolling so far back into my head!! Its because of crap like this my PEG thinks she has a shot and thinks that someday her and the BF will get back together because they are meant to be because they made a baby!! I hate this story line seriously!!! I am an avid 30 rock fan as well and you would think he would want to avoid these types of movies like the plague. There is no way in this world I will go see this movie.
I don't know if you have ever watched Gary Unmarried but its starting to follow this same plot line. He is a divorced father of two who has a very inappropriate relationship with his ex-wife. They still act as though they are married and paint this picture that all divorced families should operate in the same way except live in different homes. I get so frusterated at times watching it because I hate the message it sends. He has hooked up with his ex at least a few times while I have been watching the show.
What kind of message does that send?
I am no as insecure about PEG because they never had much of a relationship but I hate that they have been through something together (having a baby) that I may never get to experience with the BF and that kills me.
We need some new story lines showing how a new blended family can work without including ex spouses or baby mamas in the picture. ugh!!
I completely agree. In other news I had a meeting with the stepmom's support group here in Phoenix! It was awesome we had a great time! I need that kind of support.
:)
April
Post a Comment