
I intended to write a week of posts about our relationship, our wedding, our first anniversary ect. ect. ect. Ha! Life has a funny way of dashing the best laid plans doesn't it? I never finished any of the posts I wrote except this one, so here goes.
The weekend after we were married, we had an epic BBQ in our backyard to celebrate. This was for friends and family who didn't come to the actual ceremony as well as those who came. The local bar my husband works for gave us a few kegs of great beer, we bought enough food to feed a circus (and we did...), my husband's band played and, generally, we had a great time. The cops only came twice! As a party favor, we gave everyone a CD of songs that reminded us of each other. There is a story behind each and every one of these songs. Our friends either make fun of us for our musical inclinations or tell us they listen to it all the time and think of us.
Without further adieu, I give you Doomsday (yeah...that's we we called our wedding...)
Day is Done - John Prine
Big Little Baby - Reverend Horton Heat
Picture in a Frame - Tom Waits
Cowgirl in the Sand - Neil Young
I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire - The Ink Spots
No Quarter - Led Zeppelin
Add It Up - The Violent Femmes
Close to Me - The Cure
Our House - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Ripple - Grateful Dead
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight - The Beatles
Ant Farm - The Eels
Whole Wide Word - Wreckless Eric
Yes, we are dorks.
Major dorks.
Consider this your party favor ;)
Oh. Em. Gee. John Prine is playing the Newport Folk Festival! Anyone else going? See you there!


6 comments:
I love the idea of making a CD of songs that make you think of eachother. What a great idea!!! Hope you are doing well and had fun celebrating your anniversary!
LOVE this idea! Listening to your trax now ;)
We SO wanted to do the same thing for our wedding! But planning and finances were a debacle, and it just never happened.
Love it!
Oops! The Violent Femmes need a parental advisory! LOL
Very ecclectic choices. I like it, especially John Prine. Great party favor!
Making a CD is such a great idea! I might steal that one :) I also like the BBQ idea. So many weddings and parties are stuffy and uncomfortable. I want everyone to relax and have real fun. Sounds like you guys created a wonderful event!
@Sharon - yeah...I probably should have noted that particular song shouldn't be played with children in the room! Sorry!! Would you believe The Husband used to sing that at karaoke all the time?! And John Prine is a fantastic singer/songwtiter...I can't wait to see him this summer!
@Smirking Cat, I totally agree! Whether or not it's a stuffy party, everyone is going to get shitfaced so why not make it casual ;)
Post a Comment