25 January 2010

Reflections on The Kid Turning 13


Today, The Kid officially becomes a young man. We will celebrate with way too many slices of greasy pizza, a camouflage cake and a few close friends.
I think it has only been in the past year that I can wholeheartedly say I love this kid. Probably not like I would love a child of my own making, but since I don't have any kids of my own I'm not sure. My heart has always hurt for him and the bs he has had to put up with. But more recently, I feel much more than empathy. I honestly miss him when he's at his mom's. I truly enjoy the time we spend together, even if it's just eating dinner together. I am so very proud of all that he has accomplished in his life.
He's silly, funny, smart, handsome. He has a kind heart and a sensitive soul. When I see him smile, his real smile, there is no greater feeling.
His feet are growing much faster than the rest of him. When he runs, he trips and flails, his gangly arms thrown out for balance. This makes me giggle. But I know that pretty soon, I won't be giggling at his awkwardness; I'll be reminding him to trim his mustache, staying up late waiting for him to return from a date, looking up at him asking him about college.
I've spent years anxiously wishing for him to grow up, so that he could see the truth, escape from under the thumbs of those who hate his father. But now that he's growing up I want him to stay a kid. I know we only have a handful of Nerf gun wars left before that's not cool anymore. I know going out to dinner with us is going to be a major social faux pas soon enough. And I'm gonna miss that.

Six years ago, he wouldn't even look me in the eye. Today, he calls me mom (but only one no one else is around to hear!). I have no doubt that being his stepmom has made me a better person, and for that I am forever grateful.

Hey Kid, Happy Birthday and thanks for all the fish*.



*A reference to one of our favorite books, I wrote this in his card and couldn't resist including it in this post.

13 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to the kid!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to read other stepmom blogs that actually love their stepkids! I hope you two continue to have this great relationship throughout his teen years.

Happy birthday wishes to The Kid :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sharon, it's nice to hear other stepmoms loving on their stepkids...

So far, we've been excluded from EVERY birthday either of my SD's have had... even when we've been asked to dump $$ into them...

So glad that you get to be a part of his birthdays & that y ou obviously cherish them :)

Happy Birthday Kid!!

Life of a Stepmama said...

Happy Birthday to the kid! So excited for you and for him. He is so lucky to have you in his life and I love that he calls you mom!
Sounds like you will always share that something special. Enjoy the day with him and eat a piece of cake for me!!

Stepped in H-E Double L said...

Great post! Happy Birthday Kid.

Chickie said...

It's awesome that you and the Kid get along so well. It's weird watching them grow up. Our oldest recently got his learner's permit to drive and I can't help but laugh maniacally when I see him in the car because it blows my mind that he's so grown.

Stepmom in Training said...

I remember when my SS turned 13, and he is now 14. I thought the fun was over, but to be honest with you...I have really enjoyed the past 2 years. Getting to know his friends, he's more funny and becoming an individual, and he isn't as much of a mama's boy anymore...so he can really like me now :) A lot of people say teenagers are horrible, but so far I've really enjoyed spending time with them. It's also nice we can all watch the same movies together sometimes! Enjoy the time you have!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. Make sure you print a copy for yourself so that you can read it to his first big "significant other" one day. Time does go faster from here on out, so enjoy each moment. *Sniff* :) - G

Anonymous said...

Very sweet post! Happy Birthday to The Kid!! :)

Peggy said...

happy Birthday to The Kid!

Unknown said...

I got goose bumps reading this post . . . it feels like I'm looking and thinking of my own life, but through someone else's eyes. My SS is 14 now, and we've long since passed the times when it was cool for him to show any positive affection for me. However, nothing will erase those memories of the shared love we have for one another. Passages, however they arrive, still carry the letting go and the welcoming in. And, for me, that means a grief that is keenly felt when a moment comes and goes that would have been shared by us in the past. Happy his-birthday to YOU!!

知道 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
f8hasit said...

Happy Birthday! Geez. 13.

I'm positive that he IS a better person because of you. Step son/step mom...it's great that you have that bond. That's cool. Very cool.
:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails