15 January 2010

The Twilight Zone

Yesterday was game #2 in my stepmom-goes-to-games experience.
Firstly, The Kid's team didn't get creamed! He did great and they only lost by 2 points in the last 4 minutes. I was great fun to watch.
The Ex was there but had to leave before the end of the game. Consequently, her mother came to watch the end of the game and take The Kid home.
To describe her mother as an evil troll would be kind. This woman has been nothing but nasty to my husband and I. She hated The Husband from day 1 of his dating her daughter. She threatened to kill him when they got pregnant. She would call her daughter every day of their marriage and say, "You don't have to stay with him. You can do better. There's always a room in my home for you." She shoots us dirty looks when we're in the same place at the same time. She constantly tells The Kid how much she hates us. She says rude things about me, but not to me, whenever we run into each other. She. Is. Horrible.
So, I was less than thrilled when we had to swap out some of The Kid's forgotten things to her at the end of the game. Ugh.
As we were all standing around the cars, waiting for things to get unlocked/situated there was an awkward moment where it was just me and The Troll, standing within throttling distance feet of each other. She snuck a look in my direction. I decided it was high-time I actually meet this woman.
I stuck out my hand. "Hi. I'm EWO. I've heard so much about you. Nice to finally meet you."
She returns the gesture. "Hello. I'm A Conniving Twatbag The Kid's Grandma."
Silence.
She continued, "I've heard so many wonderful things about you," as she placed her knobbly, wrinkled, old hand on my arm. "Thank you so much for being so great to my grandson."
Insert record scratch.
The Husband dropped the car keys.
The orange The Kid was eating fell straight out of his gaping mouth.
I must have looked something like this.
"W-w-well. Well, that's very kind of you to say," I managed to choke out.
We transferred all of The Kid's stuff into the car, said our farewells and I jumped into my car.
The Husband and I looked at each other in equal states of disbelief.
"Well that was..." I whispered.
"...odd, " he offered.
"Um, yeah. I need..."
"...a drink?"
"Yeah!"
And so we drove away from The Twilight Zone and went to the pub.
I don't know what prompted this woman to suddenly recognize that I'm not an evil bee-otch. Maybe she doesn't and just felt outnumbered. Whatever the reason, I think it's still a pretty huge compliment coming from Satan her.
And I think it's safe to say that nothing but good has come from becoming more fully involved in The Kid's life outside our home.

7 comments:

The Step In Mom. . . said...

LMAO, who knows what her motives were. I had to go pick the Kid up from Princess' Mom one day, and she hasn't been friendly to me since I called the cops on her a few years back (wonder why) so I was nervous about how it would go. Well I got there and she welcomed me into my house and started chit-chatting while the Kid got his shoes and stuff on. Then she goes, "You smell good, what is that fragrance you are wearing?" I was so stunned I could barely respond. I managed to get out "I think it is called Pink by Victoria Secrets, but I am not sure, Hubby bought it." once I had picked my chin up off her living room floor.

They will always be throwing us curve balls! Sounds like you handled the situation great!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Either she's had a big change of heart or she didn't want to be an evil witch in front of her grandson. Either way, I'm glad things went smoothly and you feel more at ease attending the Kid's events. I bet he loves having you there!

Amy said...

Glad it went well. Sounds like she was being polite in front of the kid at least. Sounds like a gift to me.

Just keep going and enjoying your time. Its so much fun to watch kids sports!

Kalle said...

What a break through! Glad the meeting went well...hope you had some great drinks after. ;)

Anonymous said...

They sure can shock you sometimes, huh?

I hope this continues to go well for you. It's nice to have some sense of recognition from across the Great Co-Parenting Divide, whatever the motivation.

Stepped in H-E Double L said...

Could it be that she was just playing nice in public? That would always be my experience and it makes me want to puke in my shoes. I hate phoney behavior.

Smirking Cat said...

I have to vote for the playing nice in public too. We see a very different side of the BM and her family in public, where they need to uphold the stories they have told. Being their customary nasty selves wouldn't be congruent with the poor-me victim stories they have spread all over.

I do agree that being involved with the kids outside the home is beneficial for a stepmom. I have gotten to meet the kids' friends, coaches, people they interact with every day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails