14 May 2010

Déjà Vu


The Kid has not been over at all this week.
He refuses to answer his phone (does that mean I don't have to pay for it anymore?).
His mother refuses to talk to my husband. They have only communicated via text message.
The first day of his scheduled time with his, he told his mom he didn't feel well. This was justified, as he had stayed home from school. She texted to say he didn't feel well and would be staying there. I have to admit, I was kinda psyched to have a little extra adult time.
The second day of his scheduled time with his dad, he refused to answer all phone calls even though he was instructed to call after school. He didn't hear from The Ex until nearly 6pm. The Kid would not be coming over.
The third day: rinse and repeat.
The Husband has no idea why The Kid won't talk to him or come to our house. He is extremely frustrated that The Ex is not making The Kid call and talk it out, or even answer her phone so they can try to work it out. She says she can't make him do something he doesn't want to do. The Husband hasn't talked to his son since last Saturday. He starting to get really upset.
I'm hoping that The Kid just did something stupid, something he knows his dad will be upset about, and he doesn't want to face the consequences so he is hiding out at his mom's house.
But it is all starting to feel so familiar.
And I don't like that.

8 comments:

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Hopefully it is something silly. After everything the Kid has been through, I don't think he would write off his Dad again, now that he knows more of the truth.

Does he do any after school activities? Maybe DH could go see him there or as school was letting out to see what the problem is?

Or worse case scenario, send him a text message and tell him if he doesn't call within an hour you are turning his cell phone off, because he obviously isn't using it.....

Eyes Wide Open said...

@Step In: we are totally taking the phone away. He never uses it, much to the frustration of both of his parents. Time to see what life without cellphone is like.
I like your approach too, it totally gives him the choice which is so important with teenagers. Thanks!

Amy said...

Love Step-In mom's suggestion.

Do you not have visitation where you could file on her for with-holding him from you?

Don't know what's up with the kid but he seriously needs to have a chat with y'all

Eyes Wide Open said...

@Amy, The Ex has sole custody. The Husband has no control over anything, really. His lawyer advised him it is not worth the time or expense to change the custody agreement with The Kid being the age he is. However, I don't think 5 more years of this bullshit is good for anyone.
I'm really hoping it's just some stupid teenage drama, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Crys said...

I too like the suggestion of giving him the choice of answering up or deciding to have no more phone. Let the child learn that his actions have consequences.

Sharon said...

I'm really sorry to hear this is going on. I hope it's something silly and only lasts short-term. If it goes on past 2 weeks, I'd find a way to talk to the Kid. If his cell phone is his primary means of communication with Dad, I would be reluctant to turn it off completely.

Life of a Stepmama said...

That has to be completely frusterating for you both. I hope it is just something small but I completely understand where you are coming from. I typically think of the worst case as well but that just doesn't make sense. You guys have come way too far, hopefully its not the mom being all crazy. I really like the idea of giving him a heads up about the cell phone and see what he says. Keep us posted, wishing you the best.

Smirking Cat said...

His mother is unbelievably, horrifically wrong for refusing to step up as a parent and make him call, talk, do what he promised to do. "Can't make him do what he doesn't want to do"? What a load of crap. Who is the parent here? The fact that she is supporting his behavior indicates to me she has something to do with it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails