25 June 2009

The Kid and Me - A Verbal Timeline


Age 6: "My mom says you're a floozy and a whore." Spiteful me says: "Riiiiiiiiight. Because I'm the one that - whoopsie - got knocked up by my boyfriend two weeks after I was caught cheating on him." Real reaction: "That's not a nice thing for anyone to say about anyone else." Leave room, fuming and hurt.

Age 7: SILENCE. Spiteful me says: "Whatever. I didn't want to talk to you anyway. But seriously, why don't you like me?" Real Reaction: Disappearing act.

Age 8: Per court order, not allowed to see The Kid ("no unrelated adults" allowed during visitation).

Age 9: Still not allowed to see The Kid (see above).

Age 10: [written on the back of a handmade drawing] "Happy Birthday!!! I heard you like pirates so I drew you some. Have a good one. From, The Kid." Spiteful me says: "Huh?" Real Reaction: Hang the card on the fridge until the sun begins to fade it. Then carefully place it in the box where I keep all sorts of special things I don't want to throw away. Still look at it occasionally.

Age 11: "You're going to be home when I stay over this week right? We're going to play this game, and that game, and do this, and do that and watch a movie...You're going to be home right?!" Spiteful me says: "Come again?" Real Reaction: "Uh, yeah. I'll be home, if that's okay with you. That's okay with you?"

Age 12: "I'm really so glad I came to your wedding. I really wanted to, and I'm so glad I did. It was a great day" Spiteful me says: Nothing. Utterly speechless. Real Reaction: "Me too, kid. It really wouldn't have been the same without you."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails