
I went to change my name today.
This is a ritual? rite? tradition? I have been grappling with since we started talking about this whole marriage thing.
Firmly believing that everything happens for a reason, today's events leave me caught in a whirlwind of - you guessed it - doubt.
Not about the marriage. Been there, done that, glad I did it. About changing my name.
I left the office, headed to City Hall, filled out the little pink form requesting a copy of my marriage certificate. I get helped by the only nice person who works the City Clerk's office. Seems like a good day. Until he asks for my license and I realize I've forgotten my wallet (and cell phone and, well, everything) at work. Which I never do.
"Shit. I'll be right back."
"No problem, but I won't be here when you get back.," says the only nice person who works in the City Clerk's office.
Damn. This task is getting less appealing by the minute.
Return 30 minutes later. Get copies of marriage certificate from one of the many cranky people at the City Clerk's office. Head to Social Security Administration, wondering all the while, "Should I take my maiden name as my middle name? Will I miss my middle name if I do that?" etc.
Park. Enter building. Climb stairs. Reach Social Security office. Reach for doorknob with trembling hand. Door opens.
"Closed. Come back tomorrow!" Door slams, in a very Wizard of Oz-like way. The office closes at 4. It's 3:59.
Damn.
Now I'm left to wonder, is this fate or "one of those days"? Is this the Universe trying to tell me something or is this just the result of my own carelessness?
I'll let you know tomorrow...


1 comment:
I am enjoying reading back through your blog. These things don't just happen to you! I had to go to the Social Security Building 3 times, because everytime I went they told me they needed something different!
Post a Comment