30 June 2009

A Defining Moment


After dinner last night, The Husband and I were sitting outside. Just talking.

We've both been so busy with work lately that we haven't spent much time together.

I was reviewing the afternoon I spent with his son the other day while he was off working for a few hours. Somehow my recount of the day became a much larger and more involved narrative of my exploits in stepmothering throughout the past six years.

As I continued chattering about this and that, I felt his hand on my knee. I looked at The Husband and he looked at me, silently at first. "I'm sorry," he blurted out, "And...thank you." His voice was a little choked up.

I didn't start talking to guilt trip him. I didn't have any motive other than spending time conversing with my husband. And somehow, without any effort on my part, he got it. For however brief a moment, he completely understood the trials of a stepmom, no matter how great her relationship with her stepkid. He saw the wounds, the sacrifices, the stresses. He saw it all. And he appreciated it. There was hurt in his eyes because this was the first time he's ever truly realized how much I have hurt over the past few years.

It was a defining moment.



That said, I'm about to take up the recommendation of several of you and read Wednesday Martin's Stepmonster. I'm excited to crack it open.

2 comments:

Life of a Stepmama said...

That had to make you feel good that he was listening and understood your pain and suffering. Sounds like your hubby is very supporative and I think that is the key to beating the odds and making it through all of this crap! Great post!

Anonymous said...

Great post. If you and Husband can work together, you can overcome any obstacle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails