27 July 2009

My First Invite - Part Deux


So, remember how I was so flattered to get my first invite to one of The Kid's events?
Weeellllllll....I was hesitant to get excited about it because in our situation, anything can change (minutely or drastically) in just a moment.
And, of course, now The Ex is taking The Kid on a getaway on the very weekend of his big Premiere Party. Minute change, thank goodness. But, still disappointing for hopeful little me. I really wanted to show The Kid my physical support for something he has done. For the first time I've been allowed to. In six years.
No such luck.
Surprisingly though, I don't think this was a malicious weekend getaway to avoid a potentially awkward situation between The Ex and I. I'm pretty sure this was a spontaneous mutation.
So yes, I'm disappointed, but I'm not angry or spiteful or any of those other fun feelings that exes can manage to purge from our innermost depths.
I did tell The Husband that I am disappointed. "I was just really looking forward to seeing his school and clapping for him when they introduced him."
The Husband bit his lower lip for a minute, looking past me in thought. "Well, we can still go. He won't be here but we can go and tell him how much we loved it when he gets back."
"Won't that be a little weird? To show up at a kid camp with no kid and plop ourselves down? What if they think we're pervies and call the cops?" I asked.
The Husband, sighing at my never-ending paranoia, grabbed my shoulders. "We can still go for The Kid. I think it will mean so much to him that someone saw his projects and went to the party, especially since he was really looking forward to it and to our being there. We're going. Plan on it."
So, we will still going to The Big Premiere Party, sans kid and sans potentially awkward situation with The Ex. And hopefully, sans calls to the cops regarding a couple of pervies at the camp.

Sidenote: Many have asked for an update on The Ex post-breakup with her boyfriend. So far, so good. I am pleasantly surprised, although I can't (won't ?) quite relax just yet.

9 comments:

La Belle Mere said...

Maybe you could take some snaps of the event to show the kiddo afterwards. I think it's a great idea - he'll really appreciate that.

Shame he can't be there to share it with you though. x

Meg said...

I think it's a great thing to do... and I think your husband is pretty dreamy for thinking it up.

Anonymous said...

I think that's a fun idea, especially if you can video/photograph it and share it with the kid later. He'd love it.

Life of a Stepmama said...

I agree with all other stepmoms, such a great idea! Go hubs for coming up with it!!

I completely understand the not ready to relax part just yet. Doesnt it feel like as soon as you do, something ALWAYS comes up! Its crazy never letting your guard down but seems to make it easier! :)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that you are going! He'll be so happy to know that someone he cares about saw his project. Have fun!

Amy said...

I agree with everyone else. I think it's a FABULOUS idea that you two go anyway. It will show the kiddo that you supported him AND you get to avoid the ex. I know it's not ideal, but still a wonderful thing to do.

Wicked Steppie said...

That's a really lovely thing to do, and kudos to hubby for suggesting it! Hope you enjoy it and feel proud of what he's done as I'm sure you've had a big hand in helping him.

Eyes Wide Open said...

Thanks guys! I was pretty impressed with The Husband as well...he's purdy smaahhht sometimes.
And, truthfully I'm looking forward to a long weekend where my hometown is ALL mine without any hesitation because of fear of running into The Ex. Wooo!

IPG said...

You know when reading this post I realize that as Stepmom's we have got to be flexible.

I was really worried that for some reason my SD would not make it to our wedding. Her mom had not sent her to a few things before. But thankfully she came through.

I think it is great that your DH stood up for you too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails