10 July 2009

Typically Thankless


Last night, I encountered what I believe to be one of the most thrilling moments a fledgling stepmom can experience.

Last night, my cell phone rang at 9pm. It was The Kid, and I was instantly worried. He NEVER calls my phone. Occasionally, he'll send a short text message but he never ever calls.

I tried to maintain a calm voice. "H-hello?"

"You order Chinese food?" shouts a disguised 12-year old voice, who clearly forgot that cell phones have caller ID, complete with a picture of the caller that pops up when the phone rings.

5-minute prank-call conversation ensues.

"So what's up?" I asked after I "figured out" who it was.

Blah blah blah video game blah blah blah water balloon fight blah blah blah Indiana Jones blah blah. "And I finished my first project at camp this week. Next week we start another one and then in August we're going to have a big show and everyone can come see them."

"That's awesome! I bet it will be a wicked fun party and everyone will be so excited to see all your hard work!" I said this with genuine enthusiasm, because, seriously, I would rather be making projects at camp all summer and having a big party to celebrate than working. Who wouldn't?

"I bet your uncle would love to go to that, he's really into that stuff," I added.

"Oh. Yeah. Maybe," he responded, "But I was thinking /l o n g s i l e n c e/ maybe you guys would like to come. /a n o t h e r l o n g s i l e n c e/ Doyouguyswantocome?"


For years, I've gotten recaps on school plays, soccer games and other extracurriculars. A few times The Husband has asked me to come along, but, even though I would have loved to show my support, I didn't want to show up and make The Kid uncomfortable because he wasn't expecting me. Or make his Mom angry (you know, just by being there), because then there'd be hell to pay.

Now, I have an invite straight from the horse's mouth. It's funny how these simple words can immediately overshadow (but certainly not erase) years of rejection, hurt and heartache.

I really think it is moments like these, however scarce and fleeting, that truly make this typically thankless job worthwhile.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! This is the kind of experience that I don't think anyone other than a SM could understand as being such a moving moment. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome. I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

AW that is great! :) I understand how this feels. Sometimes feeling second best just sucks period so when the kids themselves show you that you are wanted and needed and loved, it is truly a gift. :)

La Belle Mere said...

Wow that's amazing. I always go to school plays, sports days etc... whether the BM likes or not, because I like to show my support to the kids. I don't know whether or not they appreciate it though. Hopefully they don't feel awkward by my being there. But it would be nice to have some sort of validation from them that they actually welcome my presence!

So well done and congratulations! That is exactly the sort of reassurance that we all need to show we're doing a good job and are appreciated!

Enjoy the show! xxxxxx

Life of a Stepmama said...

WOW that is amazing, I am soooooo happy for you. That does make it all worth it, way to go!!! What a great post!

Kalle said...

The invite straight from the Kid's mouth definitely makes things worthwhile hey - Cherish it and have fun.

Eyes Wide Open said...

Thank you! I am psyched - it's one of those big firsts for me. We don't hear first words, or see first steps, or snap photos on the first day of kindergarten, but we do get days like this!
I didn't want to get too excited in case he changed his mind (as 12 year olds frequently do) but he came home from camp today and watched me write the occasion on the calendar. I think he means business.
Now if only I can remember this day on the not-so-good days.

Smirking Cat said...

My heart melts when my stepkids ask me "Are you coming?" or when they say "Can I sit beside you?" It's especially magical because they have been so brainwashed against me for so long.

Related Posts with Thumbnails